In 1953 a circle headquarter was established at Daporijo. The Circle was later on upgraded to a sub-division in 1957 followed by merger of some more area from notrheast bank of river Subansiri in 1959. the sub-division was headed by one Additional Political Officer. The Post of Additional Political Officer was re-designated in the year 1964 as Add. Deputy Commissioner. The District was created in the year 1980 in the name of Upper Subansiri.
The district is mountainous rugged and difficult terrain. The river Subansiri has intersected the terrain. Snow-caved Mountains ranges of height from 7000ft. to 18000 ft. (above sea level) stand like barrier at north. Most land is barren and inhabitation is scanty. The region is mostly covered by dense forest consisting Aplne, moist temperature tropical pine and temperate we evergreen forests in upper, uppler middle, middle and lower region respectively. The district is rich in flora and fauna.